See, I tried the 20, but not for love nor money could I make that work. I did try some silver ones then from scrap wire. I sometimes need fine ones to go through small pearls, so it was nice to see that it worked although I left one or the other over the flame for too long and the little ball fell off. I'm having problems with my eye again at the moment, so it's a little hard for me to tell when the right moment is.
It's 21 gauge and I tried again. I got a few attempts that worked - kind of, meaning they balled up, but not really round and mostly on one side. I think I haven't found the perfect spot yet. I'm almost ready now to give the torch a try under supervision. Thank you, Dawn, what did you do to me??
Yeah, the eye sucks. I never got my full eyesight back, anyway, and I don't need this mess again (although it was too be expected that it'd come back eventually, just not so soon). It makes it hard for me to focus at the moment which is why I have a problem with beads and headpin balls
Germany and The Netherlands use natural gas (mostly methane) by the way, but there's a difference between the countries. I only know about propane being used here for camping etc. So maybe that IS the reason why I'm struggling with the thicker wire.
Ok, I have 110 head pins made as I forgot about the first 10 that I made last night. Always good to have extras, I guess. They are now going into the tumbler for a couple of hours to harden the wire. Once they come out, I'll pickle them. I've been taking photos step by step, so should have a tutorial ready by tomorrow if all goes well.
First - a camp stove. Just a moment while I am laughing. Okay, finished. I need less stuff, Dawn, not more things I hardly ever use. Second - I know, Gayle, but torch is torch for me. There's a reason why I don't make crème brûlée, don't flambé etc.
Post by violetmoonnl on Apr 15, 2017 3:56:24 GMT -6
Hubby was of to work so I could test how it would work on our stove.
Well it didn't, kept the wires in the flame for more then a minute, they only turned black.
So I took out the brulee burner, now why haven't I used this toy before.
It took only half a minute, then the flame turned green and the wire started balling up. Yeah!! succes.
Then I went on the internet to find that website again that told about the home made pickle. Left the a minute or so in the solution, stirred them a bit with a wooden spoon and the most of the black just fell off. And so easy to make, just an old pan, white vinegar and salt, oh and a stove.