Argh and Ugh!!! Every time I solve one problem, a new one pops up - thought I would finish tonight, but tomorrow is going to be another problem solving day. I guess that's why this exercise we are participating in is called a challenge!
At last! Ha, I'm actually quite early - the month isn't even close to being over yet and I'm usually bringing up the rear.
First my inspiration. These viney plants grew on the fence at the house we rented while on vacation.
These are a variety of passion flowers and while they weren't part of what inspired me, they are pretty and unusual, so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures. They came in white, pink, purple and blue:
What did inspire me and what I used for this challenge was the fruit (which are not edible from these particular plants) and the vines:
To see what I came up with for this challenge as a result of the inspiration I found in the fruits and vines, scroll down to the next post...
Last Edit: Oct 15, 2019 17:48:29 GMT -6 by DawninCal
These hoops and the "vines" are oxidized copper wire. The hoops are 16 gauge and the bottom half has been hammered flat. The vines are 18 gauge. The "fruit" hanging down inside of the hoops are glass beads that I found in a thrift store in Florida. I've been wanting to make something with these beads for a long time and was finally able to in this challenge.
The specks of color in the beads represent the colors of fall: crystal blue skies, the greens that are starting to fade away and the reds, oranges and yellows that are delighting our eyes as the leaves turn color. Besides depicting fall, these earrings also represent the harvest that is upon us which is found in the shape of the hoops which resemble the various squash and gourds that are found during this season.
Enough talking - let's get to it! (click on the pics to enlarge)
As I mentioned in earlier posts, what I thought would be simple earrings proved to be quite challenging. This is the third version of these that I have made for this challenge.
On the first set, I made them so that the vines wrapped only half way around the hoops. When I hung them from the ear wires, I discovered that due to the weight of the wire on the one side, they hung crooked. To counter the weight, I tried wiring pearls and copper beads to the other side, but it took so many to balance them that they looked way over the top.
In the next version, I tried hanging bicone crystals from loops in the vines, but ran into the same problem with the earrings not being balanced. While trying to work that out, I decided to further flatten the hammered part of the hoops thinking I'd wrap additional wire around them and ended up cutting one of the hoops in half with my pliers!
For the third and final version, I gave up on wrapping or hanging beads and simple wrapped the viney wire all the way around. That worked best, although it was not what I originally had in mind. I'd still like to wrap the vines only half way around and work out the balance problem, but I don't have time to fool with these any longer, so that will have to wait for another day.
If you are still with me after all that yammering, thanks for looking and reading!
Last Edit: Oct 16, 2019 13:35:46 GMT -6 by DawninCal
I thought I'd share the problems I ran into just so people could see that there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that takes place before a piece is finished. It's not all unicorns and rainbows, that is for sure!
You're a mean one, Mrs Dawn! (Yes, sing to the melody of Mr Grinch. Do it!!)
You know I can always just cut the flower off and turn it into a pendant. I have thought about that more than once. So if you want to pressure me into making rash decisions .... *grabbing the scissors and storming off* Yeah, no. I'll keep thinking for a little longer.